"Yesterday will not return again. After yesterday, today; after today, tomorrow.
All times and all things temporal pass away."
On the Good of Widowhood, 25
The building initiatives of the 1870's continued into the next decade
when Villanova commissioned a colorful Victorian Gothic church in 1883, used ever since as
a college and parish church. In 1893 Villanova celebrated its Fiftieth Anniversary,
or Golden Jubilee. Its highlights were a Solemn Pontifical Mass and the publication
of Reverend Thomas C. Middleton's Historical Sketch. Villanova
remained a very small college, however, with only 90 students at the time of
the Golden Jubilee, 15 of whom were seminarians.
Link to Exhibit Items
- Reverend Joseph A. Coleman, O.S.A.
- Reverend Francis M. Sheeran, O.S.A., S.T.B
of new Church
- Parish procession
Thomas C. Middleton, O.S.A., D.D.
- Twin-spires of St. Thomas of Villanova Church
- Holy water (brass)
- Panoramic view, c. 1890
Sketch of the Augustinian Monastery, College and Mission of St. Thomas of Villanova (1893)
- Birds eye view of campus from North, 1890
- Reverend Christopher A. McEvoy, O.S.A.
Thomas of Villanova Church and Augustinian Monastery
Jubilee Commencement Program, 21 June 1893
- Ode for the Golden Jubilee, Villanova College, 1893
Ode for the Golden Jubilee, Villanova College, 1893
- Progress in Studies and Deportment
Francis J. McShane, O.S.A.
- Science Laboratory in the College
- Villanova College Library
Villanova Monthly, October 1895
football team, 1896
- College Cry, 1893
baseball team, 1896
- Villanova varsity football team, 1896
- Medal for Gentlemanly Conduct
- Roster of College Classes, 1886-1887
- Score Book
- Reverend John J. Fedigan, O.S.A.
The information and/or photographs on these pages are not to be republished or reproduced in any format without
written consent of Villanova University Archives, Villanova Pennsylvania. All rights are reserved.